Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Anti-Teaching by Michael Wesch

I liked the idea that "teaching could actually be a henderance to learning"! I agreed with Michael Wesch's idea that making the material significant would engage real learning not just a regergetation of facts soon to be forgotten. Although I'm not ready to admit it, teachers can be their own worse enemies and we can only finger point the blame so long. I know our students need to be successful test takers for the sake of competition, but that doesn't mean our whole curriculum needs to be devoted to test taking. I really think we would surprise our selves and the public by offering real life learning in our classrooms. (along with a great study guide for the test of course!) The problem will be coming up with real life situations or projects that motivate and engage the students to want to learn and become self directed. Give me the curriculum and I am all over it! I am not creative enough, or technologically literate enough to come up with all these projects.

1 comment:

Katie Morrow said...

I was shouting "yes!" in agreement to all your words until I came to "I am not creative enough or technology-literate enough to come up with these projects!" You don't give yourself enough credit! You already do great things that are the opposite of the negative things in that article. And I know you've heard it a thousand times, but.... Baby Steps. baby Steps! Starting small will go a LONG way!